MET Office Science Camp

Bishops Nympton continued their scientific explorations at the weekend, this time investigating weather and climate.  On Friday evening we descended on the MET Office in Exeter, exploring the fabulous facilities they have and taking advantage of the knowledge and skills offered to us by their staff.

After being fed, we enjoyed hands on experiments and talks, investigating how the MET Office forecast the weather and what it means for us.  We created our own cloud, used various weather measuring equipment, used infra red cameras and viewed the £90+million super computer.

“I never thought I would be doing maths at ten to ten at night”

“awesome, I’m going to make clouds in my bedroom”

“I wonder if it takes them ages to log onto their computer?”

Just some of the comments from our awestruck team as they fully immersed themselves into the fantastic opportunities provided.

A very tired team retired to their tents for a short sleep, listening to the thunder, or was it snoring?  With the sun shinning, We once again dove into Saturdays activities, culminating in the opportunity to deliver their own weather forecast in front of the TV cameras.

A fact filled weekend, inspiring and informing.  Because of the sensitive nature of the work carried out by the MET office we were not allowed to take photographs.  However, an official photographer was present and we will endeavour to get hold of some of those images and post them at a later date.

Mr Scandrett